Thursday, October 10, 2013

Stacy Nadeau Interview


(Photo credit: Campus Speak)

Before working with Dove, is body image or bullies something that you dealt with? 
Luckily, Bullying is never something I had to deal with on a large scale. I grew up a pretty confident young woman but absolutely had my days. I particularly had a problem with my big thighs and hated them.

If so, how did you deal with it? What makes you confident?

My parents were an amazing support system. They would help me have an attitude of gratitude and be thankful for my healthy and able body. I still hold on to this attitude today. Once I accepted that my body was the way it was, the confidence came naturally. When you truly accept yourself, no one can shake that.

How did you get involved with the 'Real Women' campaign? 
I was walking down the street when a woman approached me and asked me to come to a modeling audition. I looked back at her and said “ME? I don’t look like a model!” After my friend took the woman’s number, called and pretended to be me, and made an appointment for me to go, she forced me to show up at the audition! The rest, as they say, is history.

What was the reaction of the country and what most surprised you?
The reactions across the country were mostly positive with sporadic negative comments. To me, the most surprising comments were those from women, calling us “fat” or “gross”. I couldn’t believe it! I came from a place where women support other women. Women not supporting us was completely foreign to me.

What is your advice to those girls struggling with body image? 
Make small changes. I’m not telling anyone that you can accept and love yourself over night, but you have to start somewhere! Let go of the negative self talk, stop comparing yourself to other women, smile and walk confidently. The more small changes you can make, the closer you are to a great place of acceptance.

You don't get much bigger than Ellen and Oprah. What was it like working with them? 
Amazing! I can’t even tell you how excited we were. Not only were we meeting some amazing and strong women but we were going to spread this message on the largest scale possible. It was surreal and so humbling. I was honored that I got to help other women.

Finally, what have you been doing since the campaign ( I guess outside of guest speaking) 
I am a full-time speaker, blogger, writer, and just started one-on-one coaching! I got married and spend a lot of time with family and friends. Life is pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment